This page lists news items posted on the wiki. To see the most recent news and comments, you might need to refresh this page's cache.
Darkwood Beta 1.1 was released June 7th, 2017.
- Fixed issue with savegames when you used a profile from a previous alpha to start a game from chapter 2.
- Rotated some fences in the meadow hideout.
- The padlock menu now pauses the game.
- Removed "close" button from the padlock menu.
- Added popup when you pick up a map for a location you already knew.
- Fixed sounds being heard for a split second when exiting game / going to main menu.
- Added a text and longer pause when healing the Chicken Lady's sister in Doctor's dream.
- Fixed savage sometimes bugging out in the entrance to the Silent Forest.
- Fixed shiny rock was sometimes creating pathfinding problems.
- Added option to eat the dead rat without going to the inventory.
- Fixed some mushrooms in chapter 1 being "broken" when found.
- Fixed extreme lag in the well below the village in some cases.
- Fixed some typos.
- Fixed debug text appearing when opening the Meadow hideout locked container.
- Fixed overlapping menu sounds when mashing the esc key.
- Fixed Steam client n…
Read more >
Darkwood Beta 1.0 was released June 6th, 2017.
- We're dropping 32-bit Linux support. I'm not sure if there is anyone out there affected by this change, as the Steam hardware survey does not even mention any 32-bit users out there. I'd like to support as much hardware as possible, unfortunately fighting memory issues on OSX and Linux has been a nightmare before each new version and has taken a considerable chunk of development time, which could have been used on adding cool new features instead. OSX and Linux builds will now be 64-bit, which will make for a more stable and better performing experience.
- The journal has been cleaned up, and we've removed some of the unused tabs. We originally planned for the protagonist to keep track of the notable enemies, locations etc. he encounters, but we've decided that it would be best if these things would be interpreted by the player only.
Darkwood Alpha 10.0 was released March 25th, 2017.
- Updated engine to Unity 5.5.2. Should help with performance and crashing on some hardware configurations.
- The game will now run in a "high performance" mode if you have at least 4GB of RAM on Windows. This means that textures will not be loaded dynamically, which will help with stuttering during exploration.
- Improvements to how audio is loaded, which also should help with stuttering.
- The Radio Tower has been reworked, and it's underground is now accessible.
- Added new locations, and added new stuff to some existing locations.
- Added new dialogues for existing characters.
- Reworked the transition area between chapters a bit.
- Added a lot of new story items.
- Added new journal entries.
- Added remaining outcomes for the Doctor in Chapter 2.
- Changed physics of throwing items.
- Changed the amount of parts required for Piotrek's equipment hunt.
- Changed the sprite for the cursor, when you can't currently interact.
- Changed balance of generator gasoline usage.
Read more >
Darkwood Alpha 9.1 was released January 5th, 2017.
- Fixed frozen centipede in Swamp hideout.
- Fixed redneck close to the shrine not running away. (needs new worldgen)
- Fixed Musician and his infection wrongly positioned when in the Swamp hideout. (needs new worldgen)
- Fixed incorrect Chomper behaviour in Hunter's cabin. (needs new worldgen)
- Fixed incorrect colliders in the holes shortcut in the chapter 1 village. (needs new worldgen)
- Fixed weird animal behaviour in chapter 1 village.
- Fixed invisible cursor in the second part of Doctor's dream.
- Fixed duplicate enemy sprites sometimes appearing on top of corpses.
- Fixed blue tint from the signs on the ground and the darkness when entering the Musician's room in the Swamp hideout staying on the screen in rare cases.
- Fixed incorrect letter in the junkyard.
Darkwood Alpha 9.0 was released December 21st, 2016.
- The biggest addition are new outcomes for Wolfman, Musician, Doctor, Mutated Sow and chapter 1 villagers.
- New dialogues for some NPCs.
- New sounds.
- If you load a save from a previous alpha which ended in chapter 2, you can start from chapter 2 with a random set of choices made in chapter 1.
- Cursor now disappears during cutscenes and video transitions.
- Mutated dogs have the ability to sniff you out.
- New location in chapter 2 : the sawmill.
- Knife is not repairable anymore.
- Ambient light transitions smoothly now (it was most jarring when the night was ending).
- Added journal entry when killing Doctor or Chicken Lady.
- Added a option to eat the Mushroom Granny at any point.
- Removed option to return to the cellar if the Tree has started burning
- Added a introductory encounter with the Human Spider.
- Chains now have a better break effect.
- All lights are disabled during the Burning Tree night scenario.
- You can now transfer the whole item stack in the trading …
Read more >
It's been a crazy, active month since the release of Darkwood's Alpha 8, and with it came changes and improvements to the wiki! Here's a showcase of everything that has changed over the past weeks:
- We have overpassed the 400 articles milestone! Thanks to everyone who made this possible :) Hard work was put by the community into updating the wiki with all of Alpha 8’s content.
- The wiki has been accepted into Wikia's Community Spotlight! This means we follow all of Wikia's best practices, and will be featured on the lower "Other Wikias" internal ad!
- The wiki now has a proper, custom display on mobile devices. Try it for yourself!
- A major overhaul is being made on the classification of Locations, as the major/minor method is arbitrary and unhelpful (thanks, Mugetron!)
- All existing GIFs for characters have been updated (thanks, Lisiicaaa!)
- New templates:
- now flags an article as being outdated due to a game update. Its previous function, signalling content as having been removed from the game, …
Darkwood Alpha 8.1 was released October 24th, 2016.
- Loading times are shorter.
- Added loading progress bar.
- Changed rewards for completing Piotrek's quest.
- Added new sprites for Mushroom Granny.
- Increased quality of lantern light.
- Nerfed bottle / broken glass.
- Nerfed damage done to barricades by knife.
- Added sound of burning infection.
- Added some map icons.
- Fixed events with a delay not being completed in very rare cases if you save and reload your game immediately after it fires. This happened very rarely, but could break the game.
- Fixed many objects not saving correctly or being a bit different after being loaded.
- Fixed many random small issues like some sounds not playing in rare cases.
- Fixed dead enemies having their sprite duplicated.
- Fixed Human Spiders screaming even after being killed.
- Fixed multiple ways of getting stuck on the second underground door in the tunnels.
- Fixed getting stuck in the void after completing the Cellar dream.
- Fixed performance drop when hanging around the Huge Lake for…
Read more >
Darkwood Alpha 8 was released September 30th, 2016.
- CHAPTER TWO! That's right, a whole new world for you to explore.
- Chapter 1 is mostly the same, although it has been rebalanced somewhat.
- Get ready to get your feet wet - a new Swamp biome!
- Around a half a dozen of new NPCs!
- New enemies, with more varied and advanced behaviour!
- New traps, items and weapons!
- Fixed time freeze when a generator runs out of juice.
- Fixed the Doctor not having the underground key on him when you kill him if you surprise him in the train wreck. IF you already killed him, then just go and interact with the metal door in the underground tunnels, the key will spawn for you automagically. BTW, I was surprised how many of you killed him, you maniacs!!111
- Fixed not being able to go inside the church underground if you've escaped from the chomper in the church dream.
- Fixed not being able to open the second underground door if you've killed the Doctor just before talking to the man under the rubble.
- Fixed being able to sell o…
Read more >
Darkwood Alpha 7.2 was released March 16th, 2016.
- Some furniture is now destructible!
- In gamepad mode, selecting items is now easier. Furthermore, if you are not aiming anywhere, the nearest item close to you will be automatically selected.
- The game now saves when entering a location outside of the forest, before a dream, and when starting the second part of the prologue.
- Added Prologue and Chapter 1 messages.
- You can now dodge when having any item equipped, not only melee weapons.
- After a new day, a fullscreen message appears notifying about it, instead of a text message on the bottom of the screen.
- A new enemy.
- Added camera shake and some new doctor animations to prologue.
- Updated flashing stamina bar when not having enough stamina to do something.
- Notifier messages, like when discovering a new location, have been also updated.
- Added a notifier when you receive reputation with someone.
- Fixed characters getting stuck in cornfields.
- Having a flashlight no longer makes you fully safe from Shadows.
Read more >
Darkwood Alpha 7.1 was released January 22nd, 2016.
- Updated Unity to latest version. This solved some issues, but also added a few bugs which are out of our hands for the moment, like some particles not displaying correctly.
- Optimizations to stuttering for low-end hardware.
- New location between the Dry Meadow and the Silent Forest.
- The Dynamic Resolution option has been upgraded so the pixels don’t render incorrectly when in motion (thanks to Michał!).
- New tree formations in some biomes.
- Several changes to prologue.
- Added map to train wreck in doctor’s house.
- Changes to dog summon attack.
- New animations for dogs.
- Removed crows around dead animals.
- Lantern has a bigger light radius.
- Fixed getting immortality at certain point in game.
- Fixed not getting the underground door key in one case.
- Fixed several bugs in musician’s parents’ house, like not being able to get inside or nothing happening when returning to this location later after getting the violin.
- Fixed unresponsive mutated dogs in Wolfman’s h…
Read more >
Darkwood Alpha 7 was released December 22nd, 2015.
- The story progress through Chapter 1 has been overhauled. This resulted in a big amount of changes both small and large, but you will need to find most of them by yourself!
- The Prologue has had some work done on it, and also has its own map.
- Most of the dialogue for NPCs has been rewritten.
- Lots of new journal entries, and all previous ones have also been rewritten.
- In-game cutscenes!
- Renamed the Meadow to the Dry Meadow, and Forest to the Silent Forest. We needed a solution for people who were having problems with finding the beginning locations (eg. looking for the Chicken Lady in the Meadow) as they did not know that these are two different biomes.
- New enemies, new attacks and behaviours for existing ones.
- A ton of new characters, mostly villagers.
- Many new idle animations for enemies and characters.
- A lot of new locations, most notably a large village area.
- Wolfman now has hideouts in each biome.
- New quality settings for low-end PCs.
Read more >
Darkwood Alpha 6.1 was released October 8th, 2015.
- Darkwood now supports gamepads! Just press any button on your controller during gameplay to switch to gamepad mode, which has many changes compared to the mouse + keyboard scheme to make it easier to play.
Please note that this feature is still experimental, and as we’re not really gamepad players, we’re looking for feedback on how to improve this mode!
- A new difficulty mode! Instead of a permadeath switch when starting a new game, there are now three difficulties: Normal (the same as the non-permadeath mode), Hard (you have a limited number of lives), and Nightmare (the same as the previous permadeath mode).
- Lights and your FOV are blurred (only on High FX settings).
- The protagonist has been completely redrawn! Apart from a sleek new look and new animations, there have been changes to weapon speed and range.
- The Rock Savage has a new look too!
- Some balance changes to items, monsters and weapons.
- Lamps have a bigger light range.
- Modified spaw…
Read more >
Darkwood Alpha 6 was released August 10, 2015.
- The well is gone! It may return in a different form in the future, but right now it was just too cumbersome and unintuitive as a mechanic.
- Instead, ovens in hideouts now produce a special kind of gas, which protects you from the horrors that haunt the woods at night.
- New skills, and a new Active Skills menu!
- Added Dynamic Resolution to Video Options (default: on). This means that you will see the same view area around your character on all resolutions.
- Added Hotbar Scroll to Control Options (default: on). You can now change your currently selected hotbar item with your mouse scrollbar.
- Added info popups to some buttons in the main menu.
- The big container in hideouts is now merged with the workbench for less time consuming crafting.
- You can now transport all of your loot from other hideouts by using a special item.
- Gasoline usage by the saw is now shown on the fuel bar (one bar = one wood log converted).
- Dying now respawns you in your current hideou…
Read more >
Darkwood Alpha 5 was released June 12, 2015.
- Fixed exploit for The Three and Mushroom Gift.
- Fixed Mirror disappearing after the night.
Generating a new world is required for some of these fixes to take effect!
- Fixed a case where the burned cottage between the Meadow and Old Woods would be rotated incorrectly.
- Fixed crafting requirements for high level workbenches.
- Added workbench level cap.
- Removed some repair kits from the game.
- Added a few missing translations.
- Added loot to a picture on the wall.
- Fixed pigs in the pigshed being aggro to the player when attacked by villagers.
- Fixed not being able to enter the journal when dreaming.
- Fixed villager in pigsheds not doing any damage.
- REMOVE KEBAB
- Dogs are a bit relentless sometimes. Don't know why, so I temporarily nerfed their speed slightly.
- Added workbenches to hideouts.
- Most of crafting schematics found in the world have been removed. Instead, upgrade your workbench to craft more stuff. Upgrading a workbench applies to all other workbenches in the …
Read more >
Darkwood Alpha 4.2 was released April 10, 2015.
- Added text during loading informing about the steep learning curve during alpha.
- The ambient light at the beginning of the day is brighter.
- Some minor improvements to AI during the night.
- Some locations do not overlap each other as much. This helps with the problem of having poisonous mushrooms in places which should be safe. [Needs restart].
- Fixed a rare case of a broken world and severe lag if you have generated and loaded several profiles without closing the game. [Needs restart]
- Fixes for rare lag after dialogue and death. (Well, this is a blind fix as we cannot reproduce it, please let me know if this still happens)
- Fixed one of the savages constantly screaming while chasing you.
- Fixed having two hotbar slots selected after ending a dream.
- Fixed Chompers on the bridge disappearing. [Needs restart]
- Fixed several sprite glitches, like the sleeping Chompers.
- Fixed roots around the burned house appearing out of nowhere, sometimes trapping the play…
Read more >
Darkwood Alpha 4.1 was released April 1, 2015.
- Fixed respawning in the same spot you died. For real this time!
- Updated Steamworks.net, which fixes being unable to start the game on Linux for some.
- Fixed save corruption if reloaded game directly after finishing prologue.
- Fixed some instances where skipping a movie would cause graphical glitches.
- I was unable to find the source for the lag some of you have been experiencing at random points, but I've made some adjustments which may help. We can't reproduce it here, so please let us know if you still experience it!
- World generation is now up to 3 times faster. That's quicker than your average respawn time in Bloodborne!
- Big performance boost for slower CPUs.
- Big memory optimization. This NEEDS TO fix the out of memory crashes during world generation...
- Audio postprocessing, ducking and less distortion. More to come later!
- New, modified and improved sound FX.
- You can now craft items even if your inventory is full (assuming that after removing the re…
Read more >
Darkwood Alpha 4 was released March 13, 2015.
Night gameplay is now controlled by a scenario & event system, which makes a lot of weird, awesome stuff happen. Some of that is stuff is random, some is a consequence to what you have done previously (or during the night). Some are basic and common, but there are also complex and unique ones. There are a limited number of events currently, but you can expect more in the future.
Shadow creatures have been completely revamped. The "you need to be in the light after sundown or you die" mechanic has been scrapped (it sucked, sorry about that). You will still be visited by those creatures, but they're very different now.
The Banshee has also been revamped, but I'm not going to spoil that for you.
Mutated mushrooms no longer spawn in and around your hideout every night. They're not completely removed, but they're a bit different and much more rare.
The noise you make now plays a lesser role. You can still attract attention when running around at nigh…
Read more >
Darkwood Alpha 3 was released December 19, 2014.
From now on, dying means: dropping your inventory at the place you have been killed, and waking up somewhere in the biome where your current hideout is. This may sound easy, but in the later biomes returning to the place where you have died is sometimes very tricky.
Mushrooms in the woods are more plentiful, but only certain rare kinds can be cooked for essence. This allows for bigger "trap" areas with a reward for successfully navigating them.
Things that can be cooked will rot after a certain amount of time after they have been picked up. Where do you find essence, you ask? Well...
During the night, you will not only see creatures, but also mutated plants. You will need to be on the lookout for them if you want to harvest their essence!
Light now plays a bigger role, as staying in the shadows for too long will be a bad idea, so better fill up your generator before it gets dark!
You will need to pay much more attention to the sound you genera…
Read more >
The promised Alpha 2 for Darkwood—a meaty 762.5 MB update—is now available. With the Alpha 2 the developers focused on an overhaul of their back-end system, but several new game features also made it in, such as a new world generation system and improvements to combat, alongside further optimization and bug fixes.
Here is word directly from the developers:
- Rejoice, mortals! Alpha 2 is here, just in time for Halloween! With it, changes big and small!
- This update focuses mainly on a huge rewrite of some of our back-end systems, meaning they are now more optimized, less buggy and allow for some cool stuff to happen.
- Brand new world
- We basically rewrote the whole world generation system. The main thing you will notice is that the biomes are now grouped together, and getting through to the next biome requires a trip through a “gate” location. Borders are much more interesting now, and aren’t only impenetrable walls.
- This system allows for a lot of new cool stuff. We’re tingling in exc…
Fresh news from the developers have arrived concerning the big changes planned in Alpha 2. Expect improvements in October to optimization, pacing and difficulty curve, Darkwood's wilderness, and combat. Here is word:
- I’ve been trying to write a post about our impressions from the alpha launch for quite some time now, but it’s proving pretty difficult as my thoughts go running all over the place, so in the meantime here’s a rundown on what we’re working on:
- Alpha 2 brings a remade inventory, world generation and culling systems. As cool as it may sound, these changes are unfortunately (apart from the world generation, which is detailed below) only visible in the back-end, namely in better stability, memory management, removed stuttering and framerate drops, and faster world generation.
- Pacing, difficulty curve
- While Darkwood is supposed to be a constant struggle for survival, we’ve seen too many players confused about what to do at two moments in the game: at the very beginning …
In a recent community announcement Acid Wizard Studio laid out their plans for what is next in store for Darkwood. Here is word:
- Dear mortals,
- We’ve been very busy after Darkwood’s launch, and released a few critical updates and hotfixes for most of the problems you’ve been having. We’ve also rested a bit after the pre-launch crunch time, watched a ton of Darkwood letsplays, hanged out in loads of streams, and read a lot of the suggestions you have been posting on the forums. We’re extremely excited about the reception of the alpha, but that’s a story for a different time.
- The important thing is, we can now begin working on the first major update for Darkwood. There have been many reports about optimization - sometimes you can run the game on old and feeble laptops without a problem, while other times beefy rigs struggle with Darkwood. To fix this, we need to rework some of the behind-the-scenes stuff, which will take some time. This is a big change, so the sooner we do it, the better, an…
Darkwood Alpha 1.3 hotfix 2 was released August 5, 2014.
- You can now dismantle barricades which you have created, reclaiming some of the materials used.
- Weapons are more durable now.
- The plank with nails has a new default attack.
- Time passes a little slower.
- Days are longer.
- It's brighter during the day.
- The player moves a little faster, and has a lower movement speed penalty when aiming weapons. Also, no speed penalty when out of stamina.
- Enemies have less stamina, and are a bit less aggressive.
- There is a new visitor during the night.
- You can't brute force padlocks anymore (at least it's much harder).
- Throwing a item (like the molotov cocktail) for a second time requires you to press the RMB again, to help prevent unintentionally dropping it.
- More space for items in your hideout.
- You have some starting reputation with the traders.
- Red and gray potions can be crafted from the start (you don't have to buy the recipes). Their effect is visible instantly.
- NPC in the church sometimes gave the wrong cod…
Read more >
Darkwood Alpha 1.2 was released July 28, 2014.
- Banshees aren't very friendly anymore.
- The Well now heals you.
- Added info about the stuff you lose after dying.
- Added info about reloading flashlight.
- Starting hideout now rotates randomly on new world.
- Some optimizations for CPU.
- Fixed false positive from some anti virus / anti malware apps on Darkwood.exe.
- You can no longer exploit barricade components. If you did this before, you should be ashamed of yourself!
- A "broken" flashlight can now be reloaded with batteries.
- Fixed black screen on closing leveling menu.
- Fixed black screen when traveling to a location outside of the normal world or dreaming / returning from dream.
- Fixed invisible locations.
- Musician's card can no longer be used as a repair kit.
- Fixed player freeze when dragging.
- Fixed player freeze after death.
- Items in inventory no longer reset their amount and durability after ending dream.
- Fixed not closing inventory when having a open container at new day.
- It's no longer darker after some stor…
Read more >
Darkwood Alpha 1.1 was released on July 26, 2014.
- Some new / modified sounds and music.
- Modified the player's FOV blob a bit.
- Some minor balance changes.
- You can now... talk to yourself.
- Fixed very trippy bug with a flying bed. Considering putting it back as a feature.
- Locations should no longer randomly disappear. Sorry, this was not a feature :P EDIT: Apparently this still somethimes happens, sorry :(
- Fixed trapdoor in prologue.
- Fixed freezes in dialogue with the Chicken Lady and Wolf.
- Fixed exploit with possibly unlocking a padlock without entering the correct combination.
- Some combinations for padlocks were not generating randomly.
- Fixed permanently pissing off the Chicken Lady after showing her a certain item.
- Fixed disappearing item given by NPC's when player's inventory was full.
- Some missing translations fixed.
- Fixed player freezing when cancelled construction (well, cables, etc.).
- Recipes for inventory, hotbar, health, stamina upgrades are can be used multiple times now.
- Strange box now adds …
Read more >