- This article contains major spoilers. Reader discretion is advised.
Doctor is a major character in Darkwood.
A sinister fellow, he is known to perform dreadful experiments on individuals he finds in the woods, likely in an attempt to find a cure for the plague. Doctor is the key to finishing the first chapter of the game.
When killed, he drops the Big, Metal Key.
During the Prologue, Doctor finds an unconscious Protagonist in the woods. Doctor takes the Big, Metal Key off the protagonist, suspecting him to know the whereabouts of an escape out of the dreadful woods. This circumstance prompts Doctor to lock up the protagonist in his house, drugging him up, torturing him and taking a large part of his journal to try and extract information.
The Key Edit
Completing either the Wolfman or Musician quest line enables the player to travel to Doctor's House again. Once arrived at the Train Wreck, an event is triggered in which the house from the Prologue can be explored all over again, but with an entirely new twist.
Doctor holds onto the Big, Metal Key that must be used in the Bunker Entrance (part of the Underground Entrance) to complete the first chapter of the game. The key can be obtained either by killing Doctor or by agreeing to take him to the exit out of the woods in the Underground Entrance.
- Alpha 1.2 introduced the concept that a key must be acquired from Doctor in order to finish the first act of Darkwood.
- There is currently a bug where Doctor refuses to be taken to the Underground Entrance. This would force the player to kill Doctor in order to get the key for progressing in the game. The only currently known fix for this is to do the alternate quest and get Musician his violin.
- Doctor may be the person telling to wait in line at the Church Ruins. However, the game files which designate this person simply as
mancannot confirm this assumption.
- Several lines of dialogue confirm that Doctor is not a native to the Darkwood region, wich also explains his extreme desire to escape the woods. Apparently, a woman of some sort (referred to only as "her", possibly his wife) would be waiting for him on the outside world.
- According to the Photo of the Doctor's avail, he is connected somehow to the Wreckage, possibly having entered the region where the game takes place through it.
|Major characters||Bike Man • Chicken Lady • Child • Cripple • Doctor • Elephants • Mirror • Mushroom Granny • Musician • Piotrek • Protagonist • Snail • Soldier • Talking Tree • The Three • Wolfman|
|Minor characters||Dial-eyed Man • Half-Dead Man • Half-Dead Woman • Hannah • Janek • Madman • Pretty Lady|