The Trader is the person who saves the Protagonist from the Doctor, during the Prologue. He is a man standing at roughly the same height as the Protagonist, with a large helmet on his Head, covered by a large sack worn like a hood. Another sack, containing his trade goods, hangs from his back. Since he never removes his heavy headgear, he communicates with the Protagonist through body language and writing on the wooly glove on his left hand.
The Protagonist appears to know his face, and indeed, the Trader will treat him well, almost like an old friend.
The Trader will appear at the Protagonist's Hideout every morning, beginning on Day 3. It is possible however, for him to appear on the morning of day 2, if the protagonist visits the Wolf's Camp (Dry Meadow) and speaks to the Wolfman on day 1. The Protagonist will gain reputation with him for each survived night, depending on the Hideout (later Hideouts give more Reputation), which can be used to buy items from him. His stock replenishes itself every morning.
|Odd Night Mushroom||50||25||1|
|Small Caliber Magazine||100||50||1|
|Medium Caliber Bullet||40||20||1|
- Before the Trader was added into the game, his blurred image could already be seen in the game's loading screen. This screen used to contain only a mirrored image of the forest, which later received a large, robed being. Only in the future this being would be introduced to the game as the Trader.
- The Trader was added on Beta 2.0, replacing The Three as the morning bartering NPC for chapter 1. The Three appear in Chapter 2.
- According to the developers of the game, his full alias is "Night Trader".
- His decapitated body can be found near Hideout 4 after the first night, with "Liar" scratched into his visor. The Three then take his place. The Head, the Weird Book and the Underground Key can be looted off him.
- After acquiring the key to Swamp Biome, he will insist on the protagonist staying and not opening the door.
- Judging by his headgear and the headgear found in the Epilogue, he is a member of the Outsiders.
|Major characters||Bike Man • Chicken Lady • Child • Cripple • Doctor • Elephants • Mirror • Mushroom Granny • Musician • Piotrek • Protagonist • Snail • Soldier • Talking Tree • The Three • Trader • Wolfman • The Being|
|Minor characters||Dial-eyed Man • Half-Dead Man • Half-Dead Woman • Hanuskah • Infected Villager • Janek • Maciek • Madman • Notable Villagers (Swamp) • Pig Farmer • Pretty Lady • Sleeper • Stasiek • Tunneler|